Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Simply Cheesy

Mmm cheese.
It might be the biggest thing I miss.
I have also discovered we need to be very careful when purchasing "cheese".
First of all, "Lactose Free" is not equivalent to "Dairy Free".
Our kiddos are not allergic to lactose, they are allergic to milk protein.
BIG DIFFERENCE.
You need to discuss this fact with your family members- especially if they will be cooking you any meals. (Like when well intentioned Aunt Betty bakes you a dish for Christmas)
Second, CHECK YOUR LABELS!!!
I bought Rice Cheese in the Vegan section of Whole Foods.
Did not check the label.
After about 2 weeks of eating it I noticed the front label only read, "Lactose Free".
I flipped the package over and sure enough, there it was:
Caesin (A Milk Protein)
Exactly what my kid is allergic to.
WONDERFUL.
I had to request Whole Foods order the cheese I could have:
It MUST be the Vegan kind.
These are the best slices & blocks of cheese I have found.
For shredded cheese, I use Daiya Cheese.
They make all kinds of flavors;
Cheddar, Pepper Jack, Mozzerella, etc
I will admit the texture is a bit different but when you cook it in with other foods, you don't really even notice!
The Daiya website even has a recipe section worth checking out!
Tomorrow's Post will be a Banana Bread recipe that everyone loves.
Even my non dairy free family members use this recipe now!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home